Unfortunately, as homeowners, there will come a day when our AC stops blowing cool air or has an issue. Usually, it is a quick fix, but sometimes the failure can be caused by a much bigger problem. The most expensive part of an AC unit to replace and repair is the air compressor. Today, our AC Techs discuss everything you need to know about air compressors and why they are so expensive to repair!
What is the Air Compressor?
Central air conditioning units are made up of three components, the evaporator, condenser, and compressor. The compressor serves as a go-between between the evaporator and the condenser, so you can imagine that if there is an issue with the compressor, it’s a big problem!
When the refrigerant leaves your AC’s evaporator, it becomes a low-pressure gas. To release the heat that the refrigerant in your unit absorbed, the refrigerant needs to be at a higher temperature or a higher pressure form. This is where the compressor comes in. It packs the molecules in the gas-based refrigerant tightly together which in turn raises the temperature and pressure of the refrigerant. Then, it will be released through the condenser.
A compressor has many moving parts which is why it can be quite expensive to troubleshoot and repair. A variety of things come into play that affect the cost of repairing or replacing an air compressor. Let’s take a look.
Factors That Affect Cost
- Compressor Size: Air compressors aren’t one size fits all. Generally, the bigger the unit, the more expensive it will be to repair the compressor.
- Type of Compressor: Your AC unit might have a single-stage or a two-stage compressor. This might not sound that different, but a single-stage compressor can be $300 dollars less to replace than the two-stage compressor!
- Brand: Some brands just cost more than others. With a name-brand unit, repairs can be more costly, but are typically more trustworthy and have great warranties.
- Installation Costs: Choose a company like Super Heat & Air with a super-fast guarantee and competitive installation prices!
Tip: In the event of a compressor breakdown, check the warranty on your unit. Most AC warranties last between five and ten years which can include parts and labor.
Related: How Long Should Your AC Unit Last?
How Can I Prevent Compressor Problems?
Obviously, some problems can’t be prevented, but there are some things that you can do to keep your AC unit in tip-top shape which can help prevent unforeseen problems!
- Proper Installation: Have your AC unit installed by a certified technician at Super Heat & Air.
- Cleaning & Maintenance: Dirt buildup and grime are the main culprits for compressor failure. Make sure to have your AC cleaned at least once per season and have a Super Heat & Air tech come out for seasonal maintenance to ensure that there are no issues with your AC unit.
Further Reading: Can Regular AC Maintenance Save You Money?
Call on Super Heat & Air
Whether your AC problem is with the air compressor or a different component, be sure to choose your Tampa Bay, Florida, AC company Super Heat & Air for all your AC repair and installation needs! We offer the fastest response time and most competitive prices for all of our services, and once you’ve scheduled a heating or air conditioning repair service with Super Heat & Air, we’ll be at your home within one hour or your service is free! Call us today! 813-322-6823