It can be easy to forget about the importance of your indoor air quality (IAQ) here in Tampa Bay, even though nowadays we are more aware of our health than ever before. The IAQ in your home can be 2-5 times more polluted than the outdoor air. Yes, you read that right!
Now that we are spending more time inside, consider your indoor air quality to improve your health and wellbeing, as well as your HVAC system. Here’s why:
How IAQ Can Affect Your HVAC System
Not only does poor indoor air quality cause issues for your health, but it can also make your HVAC run inefficiently.
Forced-air HVAC systems consist of ductwork to distribute cooled air as an air filter traps airborne contaminants. During peak usage, the air and contaminants are cycled through the HVAC system many times.
While a quality air filter will capture most contaminants, many can flow through or around a clogged or inferior filter.
These are the effects that IAQ can have on your HVAC system:
- Contaminants like dirt, pollen, dander, and mold spores can stick to the evaporator coil of your AC like glue. Even a thin accumulation of debris can affect heating and cooling efficiency and will require much more energy to heat or cool your home.
- Debris will also stick to air ducts, sometimes causing contaminants to enter living spaces and creating health concerns.
- Humidity is always an issue here in Tampa Bay, and condensation on the evaporator coil and ductwork can foster mold and mildew growth which can cause efficiency problems with your HVAC, musty or moldy smells to come from your vents, and potential health issues.
Improve Your IAQ
The most effective way to boost indoor air quality in your home is to schedule preventative HVAC maintenance at least once a year if not seasonally. Ensuring that the components are cleaned and in good working order will improve the indoor air quality in your home and your HVAC’s performance.
Ignoring HVAC maintenance will only make your air quality worse and could cause breakdowns and repairs in the future.
Rather than worrying about repairs, let our Tampa Bay HVAC technicians at Super Heat and Air help by performing maintenance on your HVAC system, as well as installing air quality solutions such as dehumidifiers, air purifiers, and UV germicidal lights to keep the air in your home clean and free of contaminants.
To ensure that your IAQ is not affecting your HVAC system:
- Check your ductwork for debris such as dirt or dust. Have them cleaned if necessary.
- Seal any leaks in your doors or windows. Unfiltered air coming into your home from the outside can make your HVAC system work harder to adequately heat or cool your home. By sealing any air leaks, you ensure that only clean air is circulating throughout your home.
- Control humidity with humidifiers/dehumidifiers
- Install whole-home air filtration systems
- Use air cleaners and purifiers
- Ensure that carbon monoxide detectors are in working order
- Change air filters at least every 30-60 days. A dirty air filter reduces airflow throughout your HVAC system and increases the risk of indoor air pollution.
Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
If you are struggling to improve your IAQ in your Tampa Bay home, call Super Heat & Air! From duct cleaning, and HVAC maintenance/repairs, to air quality assessments, we will ensure that the air you breathe is of the highest quality—not just for your health but for the efficiency of your HVAC system.
Schedule preventative maintenance or duct cleaning today; (813) 981-7631!