Anyone who lives in Florida knows that having a cool home is a MUST, especially in the summer months. But what do you do when you go away for vacation though? Should you shut off the AC completely or leave it running while you are away? Our HVAC pros at Super Heat & Air discuss how to manage your AC while on vacation, and save some money in the process! Scroll down to learn more…
Be Smart: Use a Programmable Thermostat
Although it might seem like you would save money by shutting your AC down while you are away on vacation, it can actually cost you more! Instead of turning your air conditioner off completely when you leave for vacation, consider using a programmable or smart thermostat, and set the temperature higher. If your smart thermostat has an app, you can easily check on the temperature and make any adjustments from your phone wherever you are!
Plus, using a programmable thermostat allows you to set your thermostat for energy efficiency, and many also come with vacation programming modes.
Read more: The Benefits of Using a Smart Thermostat
Humidity and Heat
If no one is at home, why would you need to keep your AC on anyways? Here are some great reasons why you shouldn’t shut it off completely:
- Your AC manages the humidity levels in your home, and if you turn the AC off, the high heat and higher humidity can foster mold growth.
- Your home will be uncomfortably hot when you return from vacation.
- It will take longer and more energy to restore comfortable temperatures when you get back, making your air conditioner work overdrive to cool your home.
- Being inside when it’s hot and stuffy can make you feel sick. Who wants to experience that when arriving back from a vacation?
Weigh the pros and cons of turning off your AC unit to make sure that you are comfortable with your decision. Of course, it would be wasteful and expensive to keep your air conditioner at its normal temperature while you are away. Since the house will be tightly sealed with closed windows and locked doors, we recommend leaving the AC unit on, but setting the temperature higher to avoid constant cycling while you are away.
Ideal “Away” Temperature
While you are away on vacation, we recommend setting your AC to around 85 degrees, which will keep the air circulating in your home, and prevent high humidity. If you have a programmable thermostat, you can easily set the temperature a little cooler during the heat of the day, and warmer at night when the outside temperature drops. If there are any weather changes, such as a rainy or cloudy day, you can use the app for your smart thermostat to control the temperature to match the fluctuations in weather.
Energy Saving Tips
To save money on your energy bill while you are away, follow these tips:
- Clean or change your air filters before leaving
- Schedule a maintenance visit from Super Heat & Air
- Unplug appliances and electronics
- Close all blinds, curtains, and storm shutters to help keep the home cool
Stay Cool with Super Heat & Air
Are you getting ready to go on vacation? Call Super Heat & Air before you leave for maintenance to ensure there are no problems while you are away. We can also discuss how you can save more energy with a programmable or smart thermostat.